Posts from the ‘Workshops’ Category
I am happy to announce my next night photography workshop, to be held on Friday evening, September 20th! Last month’s workshop was a great success and a recent full-moon trip down to the water (click on images below) convinced me that it was time for another one.
In this small workshop (max. 6 participants), you will learn how to take photographs in low-light situations, like those featured on my web site. The workshop will held in beautiful Weekapaug, RI, where ocean, rock, and tidal ponds meet to create a great spot for night photography:
When: September 20th, 7pm-10pm (end time is flexible)
How much does it cost: The fee for this workshop is $40.
How to join: You may pay with any credit card using the Pay Now button on this page. You may also pay with cash, check or credit card on the evening of the event but you must confirm your participation in advance.
How it works:
- The workshop begins with an hour-long orientation to night photography at my home, where I will teach you the fundamentals and show you some examples. You will get a ‘cheat sheet’ to take with you. We will also check out your equipment to minimize surprises when we are out shooting.
- Then we will drive down to one of several locations in Weekapaug (based on conditions and interest) to shoot. I will move between students to coach and offer suggestions. Lots of rocks, water, docks, sea grasses…its a really neat place to shoot.
- In the final hour or so we will come back to my home for an impromptu review session; if you wish, we’ll take a look at the images on a computer to continue the learning.
What do I need?*
- A digital or camera that has a ‘bulb’ setting for long exposures
- A cable release/remote – a mechanism that allows the shutter to stay open for long periods of time
- A tripod – to keep the image stable. Any tripod will do, but mini-tripods (< 12 inches high) will limit where you can shoot
- Clothing to be comfortable — I usually wear or bring pants/long sleeves
Please contact me if you have any questions. You can also reach me directly over the phone at 401.439.5947 or on Twitter @theplayoflight. It will hopefully be a gorgeous night, and a great opportunity to experience the beach environment in a unique way.
I hope to see you on the 19th!
Sign up for the Harvest Moon Night Photography Workshop
* You can buy a basic tripod and remote (I would recommend a 3rd-party brand for cost) on Amazon for a relatively small amount of money. If you don’t have this equipment, but would still like to join, you can use mine for the evening. First come, first served.