Weekapaug Night Photography Workshop
I am happy to announce a new night photography workshop, to be held on Saturday evening, August 3rd! In this small workshop (max. 6 participants), you will learn how to take photographs in low-light situations, like those featured on my web site. The workshop will held in beautiful Weekapaug, RI, where ocean, rock, and tidal ponds meet to create a great spot for night photography:
Where: Starting at my home in Westerly, RI, then by the water in Weekapaug (a 5-minute drive away)
When: 7pm-10pm (end time is flexible)
How it works:
- The workshop begins with an hour-long orientation to night photography at my home, where I will teach you the fundamentals and show you some examples. You will get a ‘cheat sheet’ to take with you. We will also check out your equipment to minimize surprises when we are out shooting.
- Then we will drive down to one of several locations in Weekapaug (based on conditions and interest) to shoot. I will move between students to coach and offer suggestions. Lots of rocks, water, docks, sea grasses…its a really neat place to shoot.
- In the final hour or so we will come back to my home for an impromptu review session; if you wish, we’ll take a look at the images on a computer to continue the learning.
What do I need?*
- A digital or camera that has a ‘bulb’ setting for long exposures
- A cable release – a mechanism that allows the shutter to stay open for long periods of time
- A tripod – to keep the image stable. Any tripod will do, but mini-tripods (< 12 inches high) will limit where you can shoot
- Clothing to be comfortable — I usually wear or bring pants/long sleeves
How to join: Send me a message via my contact form and include your phone number. We’ll connect up and confirm over the phone. You can also reach me directly over the phone at 401.439.5947 or on Twitter @theplayoflight.
How much does it cost: The fee for this workshop is $40. This fee includes the activities described above as well as ongoing coaching via phone and email. You may pay with cash, check or credit card on the evening of the event. I’m working on an online event/payment option as well.
Please contact me if you have any questions, or would like to set a different date/time for a workshop. It should be a gorgeous night, and a great opportunity to experience the beach environment in a unique way.
I hope to see you there!
* if you don’t have this equipment but would still like to join, you can use mine for the evening.